This week I have decided to dedicate my thoughtful thursday post to all of you out there who are starting your journeys toward health. Each year thousands (probably more like millions) of Americans jump on the proverbial “diet” bandwagon. They start out the year with a resolution, but sadly many lose their momentum within the first two months of the year. As a matter of fact 80% of persons who set out to lose weight fail. Often failure comes from rigid programs without a strong component of education, and a focus on a “diet” rather than a permanent change to healthy habits. According to a 2011 article in the Nutrition Journal, placing the emphasis on “Weight Loss” rather than “Healthfulness” is a key component which encourages failure. Dieting is based on a “will power” to overcome in the short run, however developing healthy habits replaces will power with a new internal ”program” with a focus on health itself.
To encourage a focus on developing healthy habits, I thought that you….my dear readers… might enjoy some of MY favorite quotes to inspire healthy habits!
- ”Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” ~Aristotle
- “Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.” ~Jim Ryun
- “The doctor of the future will give no medication, but will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, diet and in the cause and prevention of disease.”
~ Thomas A Edison
- “Optimal Health is a journey taken one step, one habit, and one day at a time.” -Dr. Wayne Scott Andersen
- “Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.” ~ Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
- “We become what we repeatedly do.” ~ Sean Covey
- “Everything you are used to, once done long enough, starts to seem natural, even though it might not be.” ~ Julien Smith
- “Just do it! First you make your habits, then your habits make you!” ~ Lucas Remmerswaal